Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Friday, October 7, 2011

Kim Noble, or should I say Patricia?

I've never been one to keep up with reading blogs. I get on Tumblr a lot and Twitter but, as I've said, those are a little different to me.
Anyway, I've started reading this blog on my Kindle called Phantoms and Monsters, which can be found here on blogspot. They post a lot of conspiracy theories and supernatural happenings, most of which are sent in from readers and the like.

I'm usually a pretty skeptical person but I love reading about supernatural phenomena, whether to play devil's advocate or just to see what other people think about a certain topic. It's just something I'm into.
I read this really interesting article the other day (which you can find here) about a woman, Kim Noble, that has what's called Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) or split-personality disorder.
"...a condition in which a person displays multiple distinct identities or personalities (known as alter egos or alters), each with its own pattern of perceiving and interacting with the environment. Each sub personality or alternate personalities have a unique set of memories, behaviors, thoughts and emotions related to each specific personality."
I must say I've really read or heard of any other people with DID, simply because I never happened to come across it, but I thought this woman's story was particularly interesting. She has a 14-year-old daughter, named Aimee and, for her, her mom is normal. So much so that she even has her favorite personalities. Kim said that it's normal for her daughter to get several presents from each of her different personalities and, she says, she has no knowledge of ever going out and buying them.
A dominant personality is pretty much what it sounds like - one of the personalities or alter egos that is, for the most part, in control. Kim's dominant personality is a woman named Patricia, she describes it like this:
"To most of the outside world I am Kim Noble, and I’ll answer to that name. But the truth is her mind shattered into fragments before she could even talk, leaving numerous alter egos to take over."
Intriguing. What would it be like, to wake up and realize that you had finished a painting that you had been working on without any knowledge or memory of doing so? In Kim (or Patricia's) life this is a normal occurrence, as one of her alter egos loves to paint. "Kim, meanwhile, is winning plaudits for her art."


"I realized that part of every personality was up there. It was the nearest thing to integration we will get."
Interesting, no?


Here's another article about Kim Noble, for the interested: Kim Noble, the Woman with 100 Personalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment