Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Monday, June 30, 2014

One Day More: A Recap of My 21st Birthday

June 28 was my 21st birthday and I had no idea what was going to happen. My parents told me that they had a plan but I did not know what it was, even though they claim that they woke me up weeks ago and asked me about it but I apparently do not remember this. I was both excited and nervous.
I started the day with pancakes, sausage and a piece of cake for breakfast-dessert (lol) with a mimosa. I've never had a mimosa before but I think the champagne we had wasn't very good because it was way too sour. Even with bad champagne, though, I could taste how good it could have been...if that makes any sense.
I got a shower and my mom told me to dress up a little. I actually ended up getting a new dress that I had been wanting for a while. (We also had to get my dad a dress shirt, which we need to do every time he needs a dress shirt, so I don't understand where they all go; I think he wears them once and then throws them out.)
My parents looked very nice, of course. My dad wore a reddish tie to match my mom's dress. They were very cute.
So I knew that we'd be going to eat first but my parents wouldn't even let me know where that was and we ended up going to the Melting Pot, this fancy fondue place (I know, how weird does "fancy fondue" sound?) that I like. We've only been there one other time, for my parents' anniversary a few years ago. It's really good but really quite expensive. But it's fun.
So that was the first thing. As for the second thing, I consistently asked my parents for hints even though I didn't really want to know. I wanted it to be a surprise. And yet it was still fun to ask.

How long of a drive do we have?
When do you think we'll be home?
What sort of thing is it?
Is it more of a standing up thing or a sitting down thing?

We ended up having a 45-minute drive and my mom joked that she would make me keep my eyes closed for the whole drive. To be honest, that's essentially what I did. I sat in the back and read my book (sidenote: I'm currently reading Prince of Shadows by Rachel Caine and I love it so far) and did not pay attention to the landscape outside.
We pulled up in front of a theatre and I looked up at the marquee.


They took me to see Les Misérables! I was so excited and couldn't stop smiling like a dork. The theatre was so gorgeous and I wish I had taken more pictures of some of the details inside. But unfortunately I did not.
(I did, however, get a chance to take a picture of this statue. I am not really sure if it's actually supposed to be Enjolras, or if they just put the flag there because Les Mis was showing but I still love it.)
We had pretty great seats, in a box just to the right of the stage. At some points, members of the additional cast stood at the corners of the stage and they were so close I could have almost reached out and touched them. It was magical.
The next day, my friend Justine asked how the play was but the truth is, I have no idea. I'm not enough of a play connoisseur to say when one is good or bad or better than another. I just know that I love Les Mis and I loved seeing it live. It could have been horrible and all the singers could have been off-key and I probably still would have loved it. That's just how I am.
Even though there was nothing exceedingly incredible, it really was a perfect night. I got to see a show that I love and that I've wanted to see for quite a while now, and I got to spend it with my family.
At the end of the show, while we waited for my dad to bring the car around and pick us up, we saw some of the actors leaving the stage door, or whatever it's called. I thought about asking them to take a picture with us but that sort of thing always makes me feel awkward. I mean it just feels so strange to go up to a person and ask them to take a picture with you. I even felt weird about this as a little kid when my parents would tell me to take a picture with a person in costume in a theme park. I just don't like it. And while I kind of wish, now, that I had asked, it's not a big deal. It was still a really good night (and one of my goals lately is to try not to let regrets devour me).
I just wanted to share it with the world, I suppose, or document it...or whatever the reason is for this blog.

My last picture of the night, of the front of the theatre, around 11:30 pm:

Joyeux anniversaire à moi,
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment