Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Arachnophobia

As you may or may not know (I don't think you do, as I don't think I've mentioned it before) I am horribly, terribly, irrationally afraid of spiders. I hate them. I absolutely detest them. I think they're creepy and gross and unnecessary. I know everyone says, "Oh but they kill mosquitos." No. No, I do not care! I am unable of finding one fuck to give! I would rather have four times the population of mosquitos (well, not in Africa as that would, I assume, quadruple the cases of malaria, as well). And I'm saying that as someone who gets bit by mosquitos like no one's business.
One year, when I was about 12, we took a trip to North Carolina in the summer. I got bit on the inside of my left calf so much that the whole inside of my leg - from ankle to knee - swelled to an inch or so thick. It was gross. But I would rather have that than the existence of spiders.
And I know that arachnophobia is, for the most part, a very common fear. But I often worry that mine is quickly becoming irrational. For example:
1. My heart often skips a beat if I see a hair or fuzz ball on the floor that is vaguely spiderlike.
2. I have nightmares about them at least 2 or 3 times a week, usually more.
3. Any random or strange itch is immediately conveyed to my brain as spiders.
4. Sometimes I randomly see a dark spot on the walls or ceilings and jump, thinking it's a spider.
5. I once saw a spider in my kitchen, walked around it (giving it a five foot radius), ran to find a shoe to smash it with and came back to find it had disappeared. I cried for 10 minutes. I was probably about 12 or 13.
6. I can't look at pictures or any representation of them. When I went to a ceramics shop a few weeks ago there was a ceramic spider. I couldn't go near it.
7. Imagining them in my mind's eye can haunt me for days.
8. I don't even like crabs because the way they move reminds me too much of spiders.

So yeah, I'm not sure why I'm telling you this. I guess it was time to let you all know how much of a baby I am. But I don't want to hide anything here so...now you know.
I wish I could get over it but I don't really see that happening. Hopefully, one day...

Thanks for reading,
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment