Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic            Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Monday, May 7, 2012

He's Not What You Thought

After the thing I posted some time ago about Ray Bradbury's views on ereaders and then this post from Orson Scott Card, I'm starting to find that it's hard for me to read the works of those that I so vehemently disagree with. It's like when you're young and your parents can do no wrong. But then you grow up and realize that they've made terrible mistakes and will continue to do so because they're only human. Sure you still love them, they're your parents. With an author you don't have that background of getting to know them and seeing all their good aspects before they spew all their crazy.
And I know the answer to this problem should probably just be to read the book and enjoy it, nevermind who the author is or what he thinks about anything but then I think that, by buying their book, I am supporting them, however small the support (after all, I'm only one person). Even to myself it sounds silly to not read something because I don't like what the author said on some unrelated topic. As long as the book is good, right? In theory, I agree with that. It shouldn't matter who wrote it if you're entertained by it. I even like reading nonfiction about things I disagree with simply because it's like having a debate but maybe it's because of how these people say it. Or that their views are so extreme. They're not making intelligent points, their logic is flawed. I simply don't understand their points.
And I'm not faulting them for having an opinion. But I sometimes think that just because you have the right to something doesn't mean you need to take advantage of each right. Sure, I have freedom of speech but that doesn't mean I should walk up to some random person and shout, "Fuck you!" While that borders on harrassment, hey it's all freedom of speech, right? Yeah, but that doesn't mean "Hey go around and spout off whatever comes to your mind whenever it does so".
I'm sorry, I'm starting to run off on a tangent.
My point and question is this: How much does your previous knowledge of an author (positive or negative) affect your enjoyment of a book? Will you buy their book even if you disagree with them? What do you think of Messrs Bradbury and Card, specifically?
I'd like to know in the comments below (accidental rhyme).

Yours,
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment